Thursday, January 27, 2005

To medicate or not to medicate...

So I'm now doing some thinking about my decision to seek medication for my anxiety/emotions...and I'm thinking that perhaps I was a bit rash in deciding such. I think that, given the situation I was in at the time, it was a valid response, but with my current situation, I think that it is perhaps not quite so good an idea as it was then.

I'm generally happier when I'm at Hampshire, and thus I tend to cope with things much better here than I do elsewhere. I really feel less able to cope right now, and this has come about since I started taking Wellbutrin. While the two may not be related, I'm thinking "why risk it?".

I think that what I really need to do, before I consider medication, is find a good therapist. I might look into cognitive behavioral therapy, I might just go back to talk therapy. I think that, really, I should at least try therapy here, where I'm more comfortable, and with a new person I might do better with, before I decide to go back on medication. If the therapy is having problems, then I can consider going back on them, but right now, I think that they have the potential to do more harm than good.

And frankly, I have too much in my life right now that I'd rather not fuck up, for me to take that big of a chance. For once in my life, I can actually step back and see that there are things and people that I genuinely enjoy, and I really don't think that potential happiness is worth the risk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is bridget/brigid

you've got some valid points...but you've also got what, 2 doctors recommending medication? right now things are good because you don't have any classes...so it's generally pretty chill. i'd suggest waiting to seehow you are when school is in full session before making any big decisions re: the meds..especially since it's not in your best interest to go on them and then off them...you know? that could end up doing more harm than good in the long run..especially since you were pretty stressed at the end of the semester as well....i mean, if you're %110 confident that stopping is the right choice,t hen go for it...otherwise, i'd say just give it 2 weeks, see how you arethen, and then make a decision. either that or stay on the medication, and get a 2nd opinion from a psych