Sunday, January 16, 2005

Arlington Street

So I think I'm going to ask Peter if I can go to church with him when we go into Boston. It's kind of strange, because I've never really wanted to go to a church before. I've wanted to go to church, but never felt drawn to any particular one. But after meeting his reverend, and reading her sermons, and reading in the unitarians community how positive the people there are, I really want to go. I've always shied away from churches because I felt intimidated, or anxious, or, most of all, judged. I didn't really feel any of that when I met his reverend, and the church inside (she let us wander around inside, alone, since it was technically closed at the time) is really quite magical and gorgeous. A very awe-inspiring place, that.

Then we get to the other reason I have never gone to church - despite the fact that I am in fact one of the more spiritual people I know, I feel silly for being such. I feel silly for believing in certain things. It really goes beyond a fear of being judged for such beliefs, of having to make excuses for why I believe something - it's really something in me. Often I really feel that my beliefs are silly, or unfounded, or whatever, and yet...I still believe in them. I think that one of the things I'd like to get out of becoming part of a church, particularly a UU church, is more confidence in my own beliefs.

Then again, I'm probably not making much sense at all.

By the way, feel free to ask me what I believe. It's really a little complicated to post here, but I can sum it up well when asked, and I can respond to specific questions in great detail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WANG1961:

"....Often I really feel that my beliefs are silly, or unfounded, or whatever, and yet...I still believe in them. I think that one of the things I'd like to get out of becoming part of a church, particularly a UU church, is more confidence in my own beliefs. Then again, I'm probably not making much sense at all."


This is a very fine development. Proving the existence of something - the soul, love, Buddha Nature, God, good, evil - in a closed form intellectual argument is not possible. The most important things that we know of in life are "unfounded". You're opening to other kinds of knowing. This is good. Go!